January 24, 2008

I AM.

v12 And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain."
v13 Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"
v14 God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' " (Ex. 3:12-14)
---

Months ago I asked God why his name was I AM. I ask God lots of things.

"Why did you tell them that your name was I AM?" I asked.

Then I pondered. And I thought of Moses, and the million and a half questions that must have flashed through his mind during his encounter with God. "God, I am unable to any of these things! I am unable! ...Are you?"

"I AM."

He could have called himself "I CAN" or "I WILL" or even "I AM ABLE". But instead He is the I AM. He is the currently-moving, never-resting, humble King who simply IS and never will stop. I AM.

And since He is the I AM, my questions are always answered:

"God, are you even working in me?" I AM.
"God, do you care...? Are you the one you said you were?" I AM.
"God, I am nothing." I AM.
"God... Oh God, I am not." I AM.
"God, are you within me, helping me?" I AM.

And then the questions take a deep turn, and the reality of the I AM settles into my heart:

"God... put my flesh to death." I AM.
"God, take me off the cross and wrap me in gravesclothes." I AM.
"Oh God, ressurect this heart.. this life." I AM.

I AM THAT I AM.

He was! He is! He will be!

2 comments:

Diane Dahlen said...

I AM the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. I AM the Lord that heals you. I AM with you always, even unto the end of the world. I AM the Bread of Life. I AM the Light of the world. I AM the Good Shepherd. I AM the Alpha and Omega - beginning and end.
I AM THAT I AM! PTL!

Diane Dahlen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.