September 14, 2004

College Dropout? Let me explain...

So. This is my first entry into what will be (what I hope will be) an outlet for my writing craze... and a fun place that my friends (and non-friends) can visit to be intrigued, entertained, saddened, maddened, crazed, startled, or energized. If you think of any other adverbs that will fit, please feel free to contact me.

So let's get started. I suppose I should first explain the "College Dropout" headline. This won't take long (that's fortunate for you) but isn't that exciting (that's unfortunate for you AND me)... Oh well, I'm dawdling (is that how you spell that...? I suppose that's wrong) but please, before I get going, let me just tell this stupid story.

After being homeschooled basically my entire life, I started attending my local highschool my freshmen year. I was thrown suddenly into public school surroundings. I was so incredibly nervous my first day. I didn't know how to handle myself; who to look at, who to NOT look at (a cousin of mine gave me this advice: "While walking through jock hall, don't make eye contact with anyone") Luckily, I wasn't that afraid, and ignored this so-called advice. One of the things I was most nervous about was eating lunch. There were THREE lines! I had no idea which line had which food and how much it cost. So for the first couple of months I brought my own bag lunch. My mom made it for me (bless her) and to keep it cold I would put it into once of those thermo-lunch bag things. But I was too terrified to show anyone that I had one of those thermo-bags so I kept it in my locker. Each day I would hike it on over to my locker to remove my brown-bag lunch from it's thermo-bag. I would then bring this to my lunch table and quickly devour it.

But then something happened.

One day my mom ran out of brown paper bags and had to put my whole lunch DIRECTLY into the thermo-bag. After reaching into my locker and realizing this, I (obviously) panicked. What would I do... There was no way in I was going to bring a THERMO-BAG to my lunch table and face pure ridicule from my peers. So I devised a plan. I stuffed each baggy of food into the pocket of my hooded sweatshirt. Then, with a bulging stomach, I marched to my table, sat down, and removed each food-item one-by-one. I ate each one and pulled out the next...

Why did I think this was less weird that having a Thermo-Bag? I have absolutely no idea.

The first few days of band was strange too. I sat down by this creepy kid who only dressed in black... he introduced me to another kid by saying, "That's Brian, he's gay". I was confused. Was he really gay? Whoa. (Turns out he wasn't gay... I don't think...) Anyway, I got kicked out of band that same year and got a two-day detention for something I didn't do. While walking to the front of the room, all the guys were yelling, "Go to your room, Jeremy! Haha! I bet that's what detention is like in homeschool!!" They were loving it.

A year later I joined the marching band. On one of the school bus rides to our football game, we drove by my house. Just as the bus passed by a girl named Nicole stood up and screamed "LOOK! IT'S JEREMY'S SCHOOL!!! ... Do you live in a bubble?" Laughter, laughter, laughter. Good thing I'm so self-assured.

I went to a community college last year. This is actually the part of the story the article is named after. I went for one year and then... Well, here I am now. Schoolless, have a crappy job, I live at home and have a three-legged, one-eyed dog. Scratch that last part.

There's more to come... Stop by again soon.