September 15, 2004

The Dead Drunk...

It's a headline you read all too often: "WOMAN KILLED BY DRUNK DRIVER" Drunk driving is something our alcohol-prevalent society deals with much too often. In fact, in 2002 17, 419 people died from drunk driving accidents. That mean that over 40% of all traffic deaths are alcohol related. In 2001 over 500,000 people were injured in drunk driving accidents... That is a huge number!

We've all seen it. We drive past a car or truck that has been pulled over. There some jerk is, walking the line. You chuckle (at least I do) and probably mutter "moron" or some other polite saying under your breath (do you scream it out the window?) So what are the most common ways that state officials tell someone has had a little too much to drink? Here are some of the common Field Sobriety Tests (FSTs):

-Have the Driver:

-Try to walk in a straight line, heel-to-toe.

-Say the alphabet backwards (I don't think I can do that!)

-Tip his or her head back with eyes closed and try to touch the tip of the nose with the index finger

-Stand on one foot

But here's the question I'm posing: Why is that drunks in car accidents seem to be (commonly) less injured that pedestrians or other sober drivers? I've heard multiple accounts in which the driver (who is drunk) kills other innocent people but yet finds himself completely healthy. I've done a little research and have found nothing yet, but I assume that it's because the drunk person's body is so relaxed. Right before an accident, anyone would reactively tense up, preparing for the impact. But a completely clueless drunk that has no idea what's going on... Looking out the windshield is like watching a video game... is so unaware of what will happen, his body position and tension doesn't change. When the car gets impacted, his body flies where it wants, but he has no tension in his body that would help in muscle damage. Remember, I'm speculating here... but as I write this I'm more and more curious. Hmm..

So drink if you want. Just don't you dare drive around me. Once you let alcohol into your body, you give it the keys to not only your personality, but your intelligence. I for one enjoy having control of both of those things.

If you don't engage your culture, your culture will engage you.